Being Your Own Contractor Vs. Hiring a Custom Home Builder
So, you want to build a custom home?
Sure, TV shows and magazines make the process look easy. But the truth is, there is so much more involved than you may realize.
For instance, do you know how to find a suitable lot? What about permits and zoning regulations? How do you get the best price on materials and labor? Do you have the skill and experience it takes to make custom construction plans a success?
For those new to home building, the process can prove far more challenging than initially anticipated. Still, property owners have a choice when it comes to how they build their homes. They can choose from hiring a professional custom home builder or assume the risks and expenses by becoming their own contractor.
Because building a custom home is a significant investment of time, money, and many other resources, it’s important to carefully weigh the pros and cons of both choices against your unique property and financial capabilities.
The Responsibilities of a Builder
A custom home builder is fully responsible for building your custom home, from finding the right lot to the final inspection, the project is led by experts. Searching for a piece of land, getting the necessary permits, and dealing with zoning regulations in the building industry is a lot of work.
You’ll also need to choose a design that meets your needs and stays within your budget. You can select the features and finishes you want, but you’ll need to remain within specific guidelines to avoid costly mistakes.
You will also have to manage the construction project and work with subcontractors to ensure everything is done on time and by code. If anything goes wrong, you have to go through them to get it fixed or try and get your money back, followed by finding another contractor for the job.
If you decide to trust a quality custom home builder in your area, this process becomes a lot less stressful. You enjoy the luxury of choosing the finishes and features you want in your home instead of stressing about the entire build. You can sit back and relax, knowing that everything is being taken care of by professionals.
Pros & Cons of Being Your Own Contractor
There are pros and cons to being your own contractor. Some pros are:
- Decision-maker – You get to make all the decisions about your home. Decision-making can be a pro or a con, depending on your personality. Some people like to have a lot of control over their lives and homes, while others find it overwhelming.
- Saved money – You can save money on materials and labor by being your own contractor. Some DIY tasks may save you money, but others can cost more if not done correctly.
- Complete control – You have full control over the project from start to finish. Communication is vital in any project, but it’s imperative when you’re the contractor.
The cons of being your own contractor are:
- Time – It takes a lot of time to be your own contractor. You need to learn about the process, find a lot, pick a design, develop a floor plan, get permits, adhere to zoning regulations, work with subcontractors, and much more.
- Risk – You’re taking on all the risk when you decide to be your own contractor. If something goes wrong, you’re the one who has to fix it. You could also end up spending way more money than you budgeted for.
- Knowledge – Becoming your own contractor will require a lot of learning, and you’ll need to know how to communicate with subcontractors and understand their processes as well.
The Benefits of Hiring an Expert Custom Home Builder Instead
Building a home should be exciting, not stressful. If you’re not sure if you want to be your own contractor or hire a custom home builder, understand that there are far more benefits to hiring an expert.
Some benefits of hiring an expert custom home builder are:
- Time-saving – Hiring a custom home builder takes the stress out of the process. You can relax and know that everything is being taken care of. Most people think they have enough free time to be their own contractors, but end up getting in way over their heads.
- Knowledge – A custom home builder has years of experience and expertise. They know the process inside and out and can help you stay within your budget. Experts will make sure your build is completed on time and correctly.
- Safety – When hiring a custom home builder, you’re hiring someone who knows what they’re doing. They’ll make sure that your home is up to code and safe for you and your family to live in.
- More Buying Power – Custom home builders have a lot of buying power, as well as an established design team. They can get the best prices on materials and labor, saving you time and money.
- Relationships with Sub-contractors – A custom home builder has pre-existing relationships with many subcontractors. This means that they can get things done quickly and efficiently. One of the main troubles of being your own contractor is finding sub-contractors you can trust to get the job done right and on time. Someone who builds custom homes for a living has already done this work for you.
- Contractors Have A Process – Custom home builders have a clearly outlined and experienced process they go through with every build. This means that there is far less chance for things to go wrong. Expert home builders fully understand the first things that need to be done, the last steps to take, and everything else in between.
Picklo Homes: Partner with an Expert Custom Home Builder
At Picklo Homes, we have over 40 years of experience and knowledge in the custom home building industry, and we want to help you build your dream home.
We have a thorough process that we go through with our builds to ensure that everything goes smoothly and according to plan. We also have pre-existing relationships with many subcontractors, which means we can get things done quickly and efficiently.
Picklo Homes is dedicated to providing you with the best customer service, and we want to make building your home as stress-free as possible.
If you’re interested in partnering with an expert custom home builder, give us a call today at 281-252-4447. We would be happy to answer any of your questions and help you get started on your dream home.